World Rivers Day is a global celebration which the Wandle Piscators will be marking this year with our own special fishing event on the Wandle from 12 – 5pm.
Based upstairs at the William Morris in Merton Abbey Mills, it’s a celebration of the river and all things angling, including:
- Float making and finishing with Steve Dedman
- Fly tying and materials preparation with Jez Mallinson, Jim Dillon and Caroline Emmett of the Fly Dressers’ Guild
- Riverfly monitoring with William Tall
- Book signings by Charles Rangeley-Wilson (Silt Road), Theo Pike (Trout in Dirty Places) and Dominic Garnett (Flyfishing for Coarse Fish)
- Stuff to buy including Wandle Piscators’ club merchandise, Urbantrout fishing hats, hoodies, t-shirts and more
- Information from the Wandle Trust about exciting new projects planned for the river
- Plus a Club Members’ prize draw including fly casting lessons from Farlows, a £50 voucher from Grangers, a fly tying kit from Veniards and much more…
The same day also sees the official launch event for the Living Wandle HLF projects, with lots of other displays and activities a few minutes’ walk up the river at Morden Hall Park – including our very own Wandle Young Piscators’ free fishing taster sessions. (Click here to download the full launch leaflet in pdf format).
Put World Rivers Day in your diary, and come join our celebrations on the Wandle!